Steps to Healthier Living with Chronic Pain
In partnership with the Kansas City Regional Arthritis Center at Saint Luke’s Hospital and MARC, the online Steps to Healthier Living with Chronic Pain Self-Management Program is being offered free. The program was developed at Stanford University.
The program is highly participatory. Mutual support and success builds participants’ confidence in their ability to manage their health and to achieve or maintain active and fulfilling lives.
Participants will learn about:
- Appropriate exercise for maintaining and improving strength and endurance
- Balancing activity with rest
- Tools for overcoming worst-case thinking
- How our minds affect pain and how we can use our minds to lessen pain
- Negative emotions
- Healthy eating
- Appropriate use of medication
- Working more effectively with health care providers
- Communicating with friends and family
- Communicating with the health care system
- Communicating with oneself
- Action-planning, problem-solving, decision-making
Materials participants receive are the Chronic Pain Workbook, “Living a Healthy Life with Chronic Conditions,” book, and Moving Easy CD.
Spouses, caregivers, etc. are welcome too.