Steps to Healthier Living with Chronic Pain
In partnership with the Kansas City Regional Arthritis Center at Saint Luke’s Hospital, MARC, and the Welcome Wellness Health Education Resource Center, the Steps to Healthier Living with Chronic Pain Self-Management Program is being offered virtually. The program was developed at Stanford University.
The program is highly participatory. Mutual support and success builds participants’ confidence in their ability to manage their health and to achieve or maintain active and fulfilling lives.
Participants will learn about:
Techniques to deal with symptoms of chronic pain conditions, such as fatigue, sleeplessness, stress, and emotional problems such as depression, anger, fear, and frustration, with emphasis on cognitive behavioral therapy techniques for managing pain.
Pain physicians, registered dietitians, occupational and physical therapists, and other health professionals have reviewed all workshop materials. Workshop was last updated in 2021.
- Appropriate exercise for maintaining and improving strength and endurance
- Balancing activity with rest
- Tools for overcoming worst-case thinking
- How our minds affect pain and how we can use our minds to lessen pain
- Negative emotions
- Healthy eating
- Appropriate use of medication
- Working more effectively with health care providers
- Communicating with friends and family
- Communicating with the health care system
- Communicating with oneself
- Action-planning, problem-solving, decision-making
Materials participants receive are the ‘Living a Healthy Life with Chronic Pain,’ book, and Moving Easy CD.
Spouses, caregivers, etc. are welcome too.
This is a virtual 6 week Class which meets on Mondays:
September 18, 2023, through October 23, 2023
9:30 am to 12:00 pm